We’re officially past halfway into 2015! Time really flies. This month was a bit crazy for me, but I did manage to find so many amazing things to read and enjoy. So here I am once again sharing them with you all.
Metropolis (1927) can be a tough film to watch, depending on the version you get your hands on. I really loved this post by Laura of Filmnerdblog. Some beautiful image choices and great discussion about this groundbreaking work of cinema.
I participated in the Beach Party Blogathon this month by writing about Orca (1977). There were some pretty amazing posts for this blogathon, and you can see them here: day one, day two, day three, day four, and day five.
Earlier this month, Eric of Isaacs Picture Conclusions and Laura of Filmnerdblog got together to live-review a little film called Buck Wild (2013). Reading their responses to what seems like a pretty silly film was excellent!
In another of Alina of Literary Vittles‘ beautiful New Zealand posts, she posted some gorgeous photos and stories of her visit to the one and only Hobbiton, with lovely quotes from The Hobbit sprinkled throughout. Makes me want to visit ASAP!
If you ever wondered whatever happened to the kids from The Goonies (1985), Brian of Hard Ticket to Home Video tells you where they went and what they ended up doing in this illuminating post. Their fates were more intertwined than we could have ever imagined.
I looove the collage work by Ben Stainton of Hello, Fig so much. I particularly loved this post, where he shared two images that he was commissioned to create about sleep and drugs. They’re so psychedelic and strange in the best way possible. One image was used in this article about benzodiazepine usage in the US, which is also a pretty interesting read!
One of my newest favourite blogs, Assholes Watching Movies, is so great. This month I loved this post which debunks the phrase ‘based on a true story’ when used in films. When you think about it, pretty much everything is based on some kind of true story. And when you’re taking liberties with a true story, there’s a lot of opportunity to whitewash a story or pop those rose-coloured glasses on. Lots of truth bombs dropped, I love it.
As a result of June being the Game of Thrones finale month, I have a whole heap of favourite posts pertaining to Thrones!
- Luke of Oracle of Film asked a bunch of amazing bloggers who their favourite Game of Thrones character was earlier in the month, and the answers are fairly excellent!
- Luke also made a video of a beautiful and happy ending to season five that I loved because this season definitely needed some more smiles.
- Cara of Silver Screen Serenade shared a video that certainly tickled my fancy this month, Game of Thrones: The Musical!
- Here’s a really insightful and critical post from The Sixth Station, comparing Thrones and Orange is the New Black and the differing way that the two shows approach tragedy – and a comparison of the impacts on the viewer. Lots of spoilers in that post, but it’s a must read.
- Melissa of Snap Crackle Watch! breaks down her top ten moments of the finale in this excellent post with an amazing array of anti-Olly images at the end.
- As always, all of Sati’s reviews of the season were perfection over at Cinematic Corner, but her post on episode ten (containing a scene I’m still in denial about) was super perfection.
- And finally, from Sidekick Reviews, here’s a great post breaking down the major deaths of the finale.
Sadly, that’s the end of Game of Thrones for another year! Next season starts in April 2016. Fingers crossed the next book is released between now and then.
And that’s also it for my favourites this month! Did you have any favourite things or posts or shows or films in June? Feel free to share below!
P.S. My number one favourite this month is our new cat, Meg! So far Meg and Cooper are getting along great, see picture below for evidence. Love them.