A juggernaut of children’s cinema now embedded in our pop culture landscape forevermore, Frozen (2013) entered the public consciousness with a very loud bang. Telling the story of two royal young women with different paths in life, its synopsis is as follows:
When the newly crowned Queen Elsa accidentally uses her power to turn things into ice to curse her home in infinite winter, her sister, Anna, teams up with a mountain man, his playful reindeer, and a snowman to change the weather condition. (source)
Here are some of my thoughts on Frozen.
- Adele Dazeem.
- I didn’t think Frozen was that great. There, I said it. For the first act of the film I was seriously wondering what all the hype was about. It felt really generic and lame.
- However, I did find that the film picked up the pace and spiced things up with the introduction of lovable snowman Olaf. But it still wasn’t that great.
- And another highlight was the Swedish hot tub man sequence.
- And we had the added benefit of Queen Elsa being honest with Anna around the fact that it’s dumb to marry a prince you just met, I liked that part.
- I also quite enjoyed the voice acting by Idina Menzel.
- I watched this on the plane on the way to London. I’ve heard that the animation is quite nice but I wasn’t able to see much of it on the tiny airplane television screen.
- Half the children I work with were obsessed with this film and had Frozen themed everything – backpacks, stickers on everything, notebooks, posters with the lyrics for ‘Let It Go’ plastered on their bedroom walls. When transporting the kids to appointments or visits they would sing the songs in the car constantly. But the film just wasn’t that good.
- It was cute, and parts were enjoyable, but overall it felt too generic, and it leaves me wondering as to where all the hype came from.
- It makes me wonder if the film is really just a triumph of marketing and merchandising rather than a triumph of children’s cinema.
- Sometimes I feel like only children should be allowed to review children’s films. This may be one such occasion. Maybe the magic was lost on me because I’m not really the target audience.
- But the songs were catchy and the visuals were nice from what I could see, and I liked the snowman, amongst other things. So ultimately it’s not all bad.
Watch the trailer here.