Happy new year everybody and welcome to 2018! I hope everyone had an amazing New Year’s Eve. I had an awesome night spent with friends playing Jackbox Games and getting nicely tipsy on apple cider but not too messy.
I was proud of myself in the month of December because I got back into the swing of writing about film. This year has been a patchy one in terms of actually writing something of substance, but I was proud of what I wrote this month. It feels good to get back into it, and I think this bodes well for 2018. So hopefully you will see a lot more from me this year, in comparison to 2017!
Here’s a list of the films I watched in December:
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
- Spice World (1997)
- Primal Fear (1996)
- Monster (2003)
- Young Frankenstein (1974)
- Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)
- Home Alone 3 (1997)
- Jurassic Park: The Lost World (1997)
- The English Patient (1995)
- The True Cost (2015)
- Alps (2011)
- Into The Abyss (2011)
- The Trip (1967)
- Through A Glass Darkly (1961)
- Knife in the Water (1962)
- Andrei Rublev (1966)
I’m going to save my ruminations on 2017 as a whole for another post (which will probably be posted soon), but in the mean time, these are some of my favourite things from December 2017.
Big Little Lies
I binge-watched all of Big Little Lies since I’ve been on two weeks’ holiday leave from work, and absolutely loved it. The ensemble cast was so good but Nicole Kidman’s performance was particularly fantastic, and I’ll always love Laura Dern. I know it’s an adaptation of a book and basically ends where the book does, but they’ll be doing a second season with a new story… I wonder how that will pan out. But I’ll be looking forward to seeing these characters again after the shocking events of the last episode.
I finished my Blindspot challenge!
And I couldn’t be prouder of myself. Technically I finished it on 01/01/2018 but I’m counting this as a December win because reasons. Now it’s the time of year to be on the lookout for my next list of Blindspot films, which will be my fourth year of crossing films off my list of things to see that I really should have seen already.
Some posts I’ve enjoyed this month
- Moss and Fog posted this gorgeous photo series of Iceland’s remote westfjords. I want to go there one day.
- Andy of A Constant Visual Feast made a list of his 15 best documentaries of 2017 over at Paste magazine.
- Mettel Ray made sentence-long summaries of 75 movies she watched in 2017 – a very admirable task!
- Mettel Ray also wrote a hilarious review of really shitty crime thriller The Snowman (2017).
- Everything Movie Reviews wrote an amazing post with a new theory about the third season of Twin Peaks. Spoilers abound!
- White City Cinema also wrote about how innovative the closing credits of Twin Peaks season three were.
- Genkinahito‘s final 2017 post reflecting on the year contains some seriously amazing vaporwave music.
- How many films can you guess out of Alex Raphael‘s end of 2017 film quiz?
So, there we are, a bit of a quick favourites post for the month of December 2017. What did you enjoy in December? Feel free to let me know in the comments below, and feel free to post links of things you think I should read!